First, please don't hijack threads, FM. Start a new message instead of replying to an existing one and changing the subject.

Nice idea, Ernesto.

You can easily stop and start the send process with
# touch /var/qmail/supervise/send/down
# rm /var/qmail/supervise/send/down
but this would stop local and remote delivery.

I think the important question here is, why do this? I'm guessing that the idea here is to keep the sending process from being blacklisted.

I would love to see a (more extensive) throttling feature added to the qmail-remote program. I think it would be relatively simple to add a parameter that would limit the rate messages are sent a) from a given account/user, and b) to a given MX server. This rate would be global, and might be tailorable by account or destination server. If someone would like to work on developing such a feature, please subscribe to the devel list and perhaps we can make this happen.

Limiting the number of connections qmail-remote makes to a given host (which would be a nice feature) is presently not trivial to do. I expect you could use iptables to accomplish this. I'm not sure though how qmail-remote would behave when a connection is blocked this way.