You should be able to run many more users than you have on that gear (I would guess over 10x as many).

As a side note, as Bharath indicated, 6G of your ram is being used for disk caching. This is a behavior of linux that's commonly misunderstood. If the kernel has ram left over after loading all of the processes it's running, it uses whatever remains to cache disk i/o. So the numbers indicate that there's no free space, which there isn't, because there pretty much never is (or never should be). The size of the cache gives you a rough idea of how much is not being used by processes though. Typically, you should have some cache, but you don't necessarily need a ton of it. Depends on the services being run. You could probably get by with half the ram you have without noticing any performance degradation (I'm guessing).

So back to tuning this beast. Which version of dovecot are you running, and please post your configuration. There's a handy dovecot command which will output all of the non-default parameters you're using. Please use this to post your config (I don't recall the command off hand).

Are you seeing any performance issues aside from what you've observed regarding memory use?

On 09/06/2012 10:50 PM, Amit wrote:
Yes on the server NTPD service is running.

Total No. of Email Ids: 127
Total No. of IMAP Users: 75

Amit

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 6:48 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: Imap and Memory Issue

On 09/06/2012 12:34 AM, Bharath Chari wrote:
Amit <a...@ikf.co.in> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Last month I upgraded my server hardware and migrated QMT from old
server to new server, but after up-gradation I started facing problem
in Outlook.
My
users Outlook automatically goes into offline mode. All 100 users are
on IMAP. Differences of Old and new scenario mentioned below:

OLD Server

Hardware: Intel Core2Quad, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD * 1 No

Software: CentOS 5.4 32 bit, QMT 32 bit and Dovecot 32 bit

NEW Server

Hardware: Intel Xeon E5620 processor, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB * 2 No HDD (RAID
1)

Software: CentOS 5.8 64 bit, QMT 64 bit and Dovecot 64 bit

I also noticed on new server that RAM utilization going very high.
Attaching
screen shot of the same below:

Kindly let me know if any further details required.

Thanks,

Amit

Hi Amit,

At first glance your memory usage seems OK. You have approx 6GB of ram as
cached.

Is your new server set to sync time with an ntp server? Dovecot is very
sensitive to drift in clocks.

Bharath

Good suggestion, Bharath. That didn't occur to me off hand.

That's a honker of a host, Amit. Care to share numbers? Like number of users,
emails.