Here's my procedure. It works every time. Take special note of #5 below.

# 1. Create the key (below). For other than a self-signed cert. use
options other than 1c.
   1a ) openssl genrsa -out x.key 2048
    1b) openssl req -new -key x.key -out x.csr
    1c) openssl x509 -req -days 3650 -in x.csr -signkey x.key -out x.crt
    1d) cat x.crt x.key >  mailkey.crt
# 2. Copy the key (mailkey.crt) to /var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
# 3. Restart Qmail
# 4. Import the key to trusted root server in Internet Explorer
# 5. Make sure the name of the server (CN) when creating the
certificate, whether FQDN
#    or IP address, is used in the server information incoming and
outgoing fields
#    of the mail client.
# 6. Restart the mail client