Monday, June 30, 2014, 3:05:30 PM, Eric wrote:

> Unfortunately, the error message doesn't appear to say which log file
> it's having a problem with.

> I'm going to guess it's clamav, since that's being moved. I probably
> need to have the clamav package remove some leftover stuff.

> First, verify that clamav is logging to /var/log/maillog. If it's not,
> then I wonder which clamav package you have installed.

It was installed by the qmailtoaster install script when the one for
COS6 was still running from the testing repos. It is logging to
/var/log/maillog.

> This should fix you up:
> # cd /var/qmail/supervise/clamd
> # mv log log.old

Done. But...

> I'm guessing that'll take care of things.

Nope, no such luck. Same error.

However, once I removed log.old it cleared up the error when I did a
qmailctl start - so, that's one problem solved.

Unfortunately, now it's throwing an error:

ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /tmp/clamd.socket is in use by another process.
Closing the main socket.

Tried rebooting the VM and I spotted this in the bootup messages:

Starting qmail-toaster: svscan.
Starting sshd: [  OK  ]
Starting xinetd: [  OK  ]
Starting ntpd: [  OK  ]
Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /tmp/clamd.socket is
in use by another process.
Closing the main socket.
[  OK  ]
Starting freshclam: [  OK  ]
Starting mysqld:  [  OK  ]
Starting Dovecot Imap: [  OK  ]
Starting vusaged: started
Starting httpd: [  OK  ]
Starting crond: [  OK  ]

Renamed /tmp/clamd.socket and started qmailctl - looked okay. Rebooted
to check and the socket file in use error is back.

So, is clamd trying to start twice? Once via svscan and once on its
own? I did run a yum update when I first saw the errors, on the
offchance that it would fix the problem - maybe something odd happened
there?

More testing...

[root@qmail ~]# /etc/init.d/clamd stop
ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /tmp/clamd.socket is in use by another process.
Closing the main socket.
ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /tmp/clamd.socket is in use by another process.
Closing the main socket.
[root@qmail ~]# /etc/init.d/clamd stop
Stopping Clam AntiVirus Daemon: [  OK  ]
[root@qmail ~]# qmailctl stop
Stopping qmail-toaster: svscan qmail logging.
[root@qmail ~]# qmailctl start
Starting qmail-toaster: svscan.
[root@qmail ~]# ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /tmp/clamd.socket is in use by
another process.
Closing the main socket.
ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /tmp/clamd.socket is in use by another process.
Closing the main socket.
qmailctl stop
Stopping qmail-toaster: svscan qmail logging.
[root@qmail ~]# /etc/init.d/clamd stop
Stopping Clam AntiVirus Daemon: [  OK  ]
[root@qmail ~]# qmailctl start
Starting qmail-toaster: svscan.
[root@qmail ~]# ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /tmp/clamd.socket is in use by
another process.
Closing the main socket.
qmailctl stat
clamd: up (pid 2678) 8 seconds
send: up (pid 2562) 82 seconds
smtp: up (pid 2569) 82 seconds
spamd: up (pid 2571) 82 seconds
submission: up (pid 2566) 82 seconds
send/log: up (pid 2568) 82 seconds
smtp/log: up (pid 2570) 82 seconds
submission/log: up (pid 2567) 82 seconds

So, clamd keeps starting and stopping and restarting. *sigh* Now what?

--
Best regards,
 Diana Calder                         mailto:dcal...@essexcountylibrary.ca