On 08/26/2014 07:53 AM, Dan McAllister wrote:
The _SMTP AUTH credential provided_ was *mrb...@theppjgroup.com* -- so
if someone's been hacked, it's Mr. Blue himself!

I thought I looked for this, but I obviously missed it. Indeed, the account as being abused.

<rant>
Having this information (the full login ID) in the message headers is a security vulnerability in my mind. While convenient for tracking this sort of thing down, it also provides a valid account name for anyone who is interested in cracking accounts. While many if not most email users use the same string for their account name email address, this is by convention more so than any sort of requirement. I'd like to see this practice change, so the originating account ID is not so public. That way email practices can be made even more secure. Not only would crackers need to obtain the password for the account, they would also need to work at obtaining the account ID. If an administrator needed to see which account was used to originate an email, it'd be simple enough to use the message ID to interrogate the logs, which would still have the detail of the account used to authenticate. What I don't know is what the RFC(s) have to say regarding this bit of data. Anyone care to look it up? (I need to get to my full time gig now, otherwise I would.)
</rant>

Thanks Dan (and everyone else)!