Are you using Spamdyke?  If so, depending upon configuration, it does
several DNS queries prior to passing the connection to qmail-smtpd.

On mine, it does reverse DNS lookup, checks several DNS blacklists,
etc.  That could easily account for the delayed smtp response.

You could test this by temporarily deactivating Spamdyke and seeing if
that speeds it up.

-Andy