Hi everyone,
 I have been having a weird problem connecting pop 3 to my corporate server
from Outlook and Thunderbird for about two weeks.
When the client tries to connect to the server, I got this error message
"-ERR [AUTH] Unsupported authentication method" and in the Dovecot logs I
found errors like "pop3-login: Info: Disconnected (tried to use unsupported
auth mechanism): user=<x...@xxxxxx.it>, method=USER, rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, TLS, session=<bXG42jTVxNtc3/SS>
" .
The strange thing is that the same client checks multiple boxes on the same
domain and not all of them give an error, also the error occurs randomly,
maybe for half a day it is impossible to download the mail and then
suddenly it works for a couple of hours.
Using the imap protocol there are no problems.
When the clients manage to connect I find this in the Dovecot logs
"pop3-login: Info: Login: user=<x...@xxxxxx.it>, method=DIGEST-MD5,
rip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, mpid=5510, TLS,
session=<+0htGDnVWPdc3/SS>", I don't know why on the same client without
changing anything the method switch from USER to DIGEST-MD5
The server is up to date, dovecot version is 2.3.11.3

Any suggestions are welcome

Fabio Mecchia

Mail
priva di virus. www.avg.com