On Fri, 22 May 2009, J wrote:

However, I'm back to seeing the connection processes being left behind,
despite an explicit quit from the remote host. I suspect this is due to
not using a queueing plugin, at this point.

I also see that 'svc -d' leaves all the qpsmtpd-prefork processes in the
rocess table. Do I need to write something to down the service as well as
remove the processes?

No, the parent process should handle the TERM signal, should propagate it to any children, wait for them to die, and should then exit. If it's not doing that, it needs to be fixed.