> On Mar 12, 2018, at 4:32 PM, Konstantin Tokarev <annu...@yandex.ru> wrote:
>

> 12.03.2018, 15:46, "Orgad Shaneh" <org...@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Sree Gowtham Josyula
>> <sreegowth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi André & Everyone,
>>>
>>> Thanks for showing interest in my suggestion. QTCREATORBUG-16246 is
>>> indeed almost like what I had intended in my previous mail.

>>> I think Network share you suggest is a good idea. It solves both of
>>> the above issues. With network sharing, we wouldn't need rsync and we
>>> wouldn't need to run clang on remote machine.
>>>
>>> I will refine my initial proposal and put forth a more detailed
>>> proposal considering your suggestions and more use-cases asap.
>>> If you have any other thoughts and suggestions, kindly let me know.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I strongly suggest not to use network share. We tried that several years ago
>> (with SMB), and it was awful. Parsing takes forever over the network.
>> Working locally and using rsync before build works much better (once you
>> have ssh keys set up).
>>
>> We have a local partial copy of the sysroot, which includes the include
>> directory, and the shared libraries that are linked with our application
>> (for each platform we support).
>
> Why not to go further and get full copy and toolchain locally?

Network share would in a proper setup be the local disk of the compilation
server.

Also, one cannot copy locally the toolchain if the server is different OS,
unless a cross compilation environment is setup, which in itself is a major
piece of work.

I’d prefer rsync though, as it would be easier to setup the ports/ firewalls
etc., plus it would be faster than the network share.   In my hypothetical
use-case the compilation server is often in a different country, and VPN would
be the only feasible network share setup.

Just my 2 cents,
Harri