Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 18:38:19
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] ..,olympics

Hey Mark,

That was Svetlana Khorkina... one of the best all-around gymnasts of our
times! She has won many golds at many events and has "moves" named
after her that she "invented" and made famous. Several are now
considered almost "expected" in gymnastic routines if one is to be
considered qualified to compete.

I agree she didn't do well this year. She's been around for many years
and won a silver at the 2000 olympics. The fall from the unevens was
unfortunate not only because it was a fall, but because it was a
Khorkina trademark move.

While she has become much thinner in the last couple years, her
excercise on the floor and her vault were outstanding in the all-around
events! I'm shocked and disappointed you resorted to what amounts to
name calling and body image worship in referring to this outstanding
athlete.

While she was disappointed with silver in 2000, in fact angry about it,
she realized her time as a gymnast was ending and was graciously
thrilled (to tears, actually) to be able to finish her career receiving
bronze in this year's events.

Best regards,
Tod

.