Wow, that is impressive to transfer without a board. I'm paraplegic and cannot in anyway do that.  I have to have my board and I'm paraplegic.  My torso is way too long to get shoulder depression b/c I am way strong enough.  My tone doesn't work with me like yours does with you as well. I'm not mad about it but I am very impressed by you.

Stacy
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:24 AM
Subject: [QUAD-L] Transfers

In a message dated 8/23/2005 10:12:33 AM Central Standard Time, TheOmen723 writes:
hey paul

    can you do a weight shift in your chair or turn yourself at night?  if not that would be a good starting point. i'm c-5/6 incomplete, have very weak tricepts and have been transfering independently (without sliding board) for couple of years.  i transfer to the shower chair, stander, and bed.  i use the tone in my legs to help me move.  when i start to lean forward my spasms automatically kick in to help me lean back.  when you first start transfering you'll have a tendency to scoot, which if you're in manual chair it will slide away from you.  i use my tone to give me a push to lift and move over.  i have never ended up on the floor doing a transfer (KNOCK ON WOOD).  when my tone is real bad and i don't feel safe doing it i ask for help, though.

i'd rather ask for help getting in bed than getting off the floor