Hi Jason,

Your letter looks well thought out to me.  Best of luck on the new staff job.  I'm sure you will be able to contribute a lot of insight to them.  Your work will help others down the road.  Keep up the great job.

With Love,

CtrlAltDel aka Dave
C4/5 Complete - 29 Years Post
Texas, USA

Jason Thurston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Great News;
My prayers have been answered, the ! best opportunity since my injury is staring me in the face.  I have been involved with the local Center for Independence.  I have been attending board meetings since June; I needed three in order to be voted in.  Now there is a vacancy in the staff.  This will force me to give up my board status, but the way like to put it, “I will be able to make a difference everyday, compared to one day a month."
On Friday afternoon I found out that I need to go through the whole formal hiring process; application, resumes, and interview.  But I'm told that I have nothing to worry about.  Anyhow...
I'm working on a cover letter/mission statement.  I would appreciate some input because I don't want to step on anyone's toes, and I do want to be politically correct.
Remember this is still a rough draft, JT C6 quad 8/2/04

Operation "Back on My Feet"

The goal is Independence. And Equal opportunity

My challenge began not so long ago. Now I see the world in a different light.
n                A Life of Observation.
n                From ground zero, with endless setbacks.
! n                Yet... for all the effort put forth, I don't feel obligated, instead I am excited and enlightened to help make a difference.
n                I want to help people achieve their own highest level of Independence.

I have always wanted to be someone that made a difference in people's lives. I've been blessed with the support of countless friends and relatives over the years and more recently; physical and occupational therapists, nurses, daily caregivers - nurses’ aides, as well as neighbors, and many strangers.

I scratch ! my head at how so many people spend years in nursing homes.  The numbers are only growing, and the money taken out of everyone’s paychecks for Social Security is being chipped away every single day.

            My point is this, right now I'm facing hard times.  I want to share, and help other people who may be in similar situations.  To reassure them, we can all make a difference.  Every person has potential, when given equal opportunity, and appropriate placement options. I dream of a place where people can share knowledge, are networking, and helping each other.

"One hand washes the other, they both wash the face!"

Any willing person is able to contribute something.
Not all of the important contributions involve money.
Look around y! our neighborhood, there are lots of good people. Sometimes it seems people don't want to be bothered, but if everyone does a small part we all benefit.  They say it takes a village to raise a child.

I remember being in the intensive care unit, when I met my first occupational therapist.  She was fairly stern and her message was;

“You are going to have to learn to be your own advocate.”

At that time, I didn’t know much about the word 'Advocate'.

If you're receiving this, it is my way of networking Independent living.
           I don't have all of the answers, but I am determined to find as many as I can to advocate change.

There are more options than people realize.  Estates are getting cashed in for nursing home care. When if more systems were in place people could stay in their own homes and have nursing visits.  This would make ! more sense and it would be less expensive. Create and/or network support groups and clubs for families and caregivers.

  • I have new purpose.  What choices do I have?
  • How can I find a way to contribute that will allow me to keep and live in my own home?

  • How do I get involved with an organization that will allow me to facilitate my own goals?
 /foundation/not-for-profit/equal opportunity/equal contribution
  • And help the circle of support keep growing.