I know some folks on here got settlements after their injuries but I can honestly say my life was not affected in any good ways by a SCI. It didn't end my life but it sure didn't improve it. If it stops one more idiot from driving drunk, run the ad. Lets not pretend we have an alternate lifestyle that is OK once your use to it. In case you still think your normal I suggest you climb some stairs.

john

In a message dated 9/25/2006 1:08:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Begin forwarded message:

From: River Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: September 25, 2006 12:34:41 PM EDT
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] MADD-Commerical

Hi everyone,

I look at this commercial and I look at the message just beyond the image on the screen.  As a person who has led a full life AFTER disability (including dating and relationships) I find the implication that after disability ones ability to attract and obtain relationships, offensive.  TRUE, but offensive because it promotes the notion that WE ARE NOT desirable.

Notice that the message needn't be explained; all you need is the image to get the message.  Everyone is familiar with the stereotype presented in this ad - if your is body different (in this case disabled) you will be alone and isolated, unable to obtain the dream of a relationship and everything a relationship promises.  Do we really want to encourage this stereotype?

On this list the topic of dating and sexuality comes up all of the time.  We all moan and groan about how we are no longer attractive to others, and feel isolated.  Why do you think we feel so alone and have a difficult time attracting others?

Unless we confront the media and the message, we will continue to feel the pain associated with the stereotype.

How many of us thought "hmmm I'd better not WHATEVER (in my case hike) because I might become paralyzed"?.  Of course we avoid (some of us anyway) drinking and driving because it's illegal.  Very few young people avoid it or will be persuaded to avoid it because they don't want to become paralyzed or otherwise disabled. The legal threat is a bigger threat.

So the argument that a teen or young adult is going to be affected by this ad is weak at best.

Think about it and be honest with yourself.

Peace,
River