My cousin was the V.P. of a college in Owosso, MI.  They had just  spent $35
million to make the campus accessible (in 1989).  He asked me to  look at what
they had done.  With me in my electric chair and him in my  manual chair, we
toured the campus.  Some sidewalks had a slant (sideways)  of up to 8 degrees
which landed him in the grass.  There were concrete  ramps with no guardrails;
doors with no auto-openers and to heavy for a quad to  open; switch-back
turns in narrow spaces; restrooms too small; etc., etc.

He brought the deficiencies to the Board of Directors who consulted a
builder.  The additional costs would be $25 million because some "fixes"
involved
structural changes.  If only some of us could consult that way  BEFORE
buildings and streets are changed...

I can't travel on sidewalks here because of missing or bad curb cuts and
really bad sidewalks.

In a message dated 4/28/2008 12:14:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,