At 03:24 PM 1/29/2009, Lori Michaelson said something that elicited my response:

I'm looking at some local physicians and physiatrists. Having been around the block for 29 years and having dozens and dozens and dozens of Docs over those years -- the following doesn't ring any bells (regarding the 2nd acronym after their names.

Examples:

__ __  MD MA <--- Of course I know what the MD stands for but MA after that?

Students at the School of Medicine may pursue an M.A.-M.D. dual degree program in philosophy and medicine

__ __  MD MPH <--- Ditto but MPH???  Miles per Hour?  LOL.

The Master of Public Health degree is a free-standing professional degree that allows its constituents to practice in a number of different arenas, including Health Policy & Management, Health Education/Behavior, Biostatistics, Environmental Health/Toxicology, Epidemiology, and so on and so forth. Public health careers within and between any of these disciplines varies widely, which makes public health difficult to define so generally outside of explaining its individual parts. The MPH is not terminal, but it can serve as a terminal degree for many (while some choose to continue on to obtain the PhD or DrPH).
Lori