From: Daniel Espinoza [mailto:da...@thespinalcordinjured.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:06 AM
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: [QUAD-L] frustrations with Medi-Cal and Medicare

I seriously don't understand how you guys live off this, I get 1400 a month
and then I have to pay about 1100 for my share of cost. Luckily I'm not
going to get kicked out for not paying rent but I am supposed to and that's
beside the point. It gives me $300 for rent, food, utilities, and any
medical supplies not covered. I think it's really screwed up, I'm going to
call them on Monday and try to figure this stuff out but before I do that I
would really like to know what you guys think? It's almost like I have no
choice but to live in a nursing home, which I would imagine would cost more
than what they give me a month. I live in Southern California so maybe that
has something to do with my frustrations because everything seems to be a
lot more expensive here than elsewhere. I really don't want to move because
all of my family lives here, and they take care of me when my caregivers
don't.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have for me. I've been a quad for
a little over three years now so I really don't understand the ins and outs
of all of this just quite yet..

Daniel Espinoza 26/m/California

Occupation before accident - Network engineer / SR. Network security
engineer What happened:

I broke my c2,c6,c7 and had to get donor bone at c2, which left me as a
Quadriplegic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadriplegia> .

I had a Traumatic_brain_injury
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_brain_injury>  from blood going to
my brain from my spinal cord, but its getting better with time.

I am off a ventilator <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventilator>  "woohoo"
however only half of my diaphragm
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracic_diaphragm>  works right now "due to
an asymmetric spinal cord injury