Hi group,

How many of you use a fully adjustable hospital bed on a nightly basis? When
I say "fully adjustable" I mean to include that the bed also has the up and
down feature off the floor.

I have always had to use one since my injury in 1979.  My caregivers have to
move from one side of the bed to the other to move me around to dress me,
etc as well as have the bed up off of the floor and at a comfortable level
so as not to hurt their backs. This includes spouses, etc.
I am writing because my husband and I would like to travel more but need an
extra person to travel with us to help with my care.  UNLESS a hotel had a
room with a fully adjustable hospital bed. Firstly, I have no third person
willing to travel here there and everywhere.  Neither could we afford to pay
for their lodging, food, etc. Lastly, my husband and I would like to travel
alone.  But, with my husband already having back problems having a hospital
bed is a necessity.

When we traveled cross-country to move from the Northeast to Southern
Arizona [in 2000] my sister helped but we have asked her about other
week-to- 10-day trips in the past and she has turned us down. Which is
understandable. Since then, and over the years, I have searched many many
many places to see if there is a list of helper travelers of some kind but
could not find anything.  But, even if we did, we could not afford their
lodging and food as well as paying them a salary.

Not only do I need it for myself and the caregiver dressing care, etc I also
take along my Hoyer lift and I would definitely know that there would be
clearance under the bed.

Anyway, I am writing to a hotel about the possibility of having one room in
their entire hotel have a hospital bed in it along with a double bed.   OR
have them have a fully adjustable hospital bed in a storage area that could
be wheeled into a room after reservations have been made.

*How many of you, besides myself, could benefit from this possibility with
hotels? *

Please respond publicly or privately and perhaps you could help the process
come to fruition by me giving you the person's contact info of whom I am
corresponding with to see if their hotel chain (Hampton Inns) will consider
this possibility.  I reminded them that it would not be a great cost at all.
A simple hospital bed is no more than $750 and mine lasted me 25 years and
probably would have lasted longer before I got a new one.

Thank you,

Lori
--
Lori