I don't know if this is an option, but when I used to be alone all day,
instead of placing the microphone on my head, I would hook it over the back
of my bed, or whatever chair (usually a recliner) I would be sitting in all
day. I was somehow able to place the boom of the microphone a couple of
inches from my cheek. I never had to use the speaker on the headset,
luckily the computer speakers always seemed to work just as well.

Now I use a desktop microphone that sits on a small table.
NaturallySpeaking isn't quite as accurate, and it picks up more background
noise.