Terry Graham wrote:

Studying the ReadMes that accompany each OS will separate the opinions
about operating systems from the "need".

For functional reason and fixes and not just perks,
I would run OS 9.1 or 9.2 or 9.2.1 in any G3.

Powermacs are one thing, G3's are another. For all the value upgrading a 7100 to 9.x why would you bother. You would have to pay for a point upgrade compared to a free update with little really seperating them except a hugh footprint.

I guess a emac would be installed with atleast os9.1 or surprised its not X.

There is a vast difference between Open Transport V.1.1.1
and OT 1.1.2. where 7.5.3 or 7.6.1 are concerned.
Important note:
OT 1.1.1 must already be installed before it can be updated to OT 1.1.2.
You may find OT 1.1.2 on a 7.6.1 install CD or on an OS 8. . . I can't recall off
hand. I copy mine from a MacAddict CD.

Yeah I run OT1.1.2 on OS7.1.3, not really os dependant. Its OT 1.1.3 on os8.x

From an OS install CD, use "custom
install" and you'll find the OT stuff and TCP/IP.
The highest version of TCP/IP that an OS will take is also desirable.

Cd extra folder is good sometimes. TCP/IP is part of OT.

If I had a Quad booted up right now I'd tell you the version of OT PPP
(later became "Remote Access") and version of TCP/IP that I use
with 7.6.1.

1.1.2