>Thanks to people on this list, I have made it this far. I seem to be
>at a loss at this point -I have installed OS 7.5.3 and updated to
>7.5.5. This went well. I found the correct driver for the ethernet
>card, it detected and installed correctly.
>
>I still can't get on the thing online though - is there some trick I
>have to do? I have ethernet selected and DHCP set.

I'm having the same problem.  I picked up a 575 off craigslist yesterday.  I
had an extra LC etherboard I put in the machine.  The 575 came with OS 8.1.  It
seems to have had no problem with the board itself--it shouldn't, it is an
Apple board.  I made the proper TCP/IP settings from the control panel, however
when I look at the system profile it states that TCP/IP is installed but not
loaded.  Also, the green light on the ethernet board flashes, but the light on
the switch does not.  I have a dim memory of some macs having problems with
autosensing 10/100 ethernet hubs and switches.

Jason