If there was a graceful restart, that would probably work fine.  However,
I've read several times on the lists that there is no such thing for
Quagga.  If we do a graceful shut down and then start again, traffic will
drop during that short period of time when the routes are removed, until
OSPF learns the routes again and re-inserts them.

Why is everyone dancing around the main question here...which is: Why did
someone decide to remove the code that filters out kernel routes that were
put there by zebra, before they are put into the RIB?  What benefit is
there in removing that?  These routes are inserted into the kernel with the
proper flag, and they are detected as zebra routes when zebra starts up,
but someone removed (actually commented out) the function that removes them
from the kernel route list before inserting into zebra's RIB.  My guess is
that it was unintentional (hence it being commented out), either it was
meant to be put back or someone didn't understand what it was doing.

-Nate