Thanks for the info Jim.
Yes, I do have dim-dip and this is a place where ignition 12v and battery
12v come close. Somehow Ford managed to spread the system across a
selection of relays, which makes working through it a bit difficult.
As it's now Sunday afternoon, I've had time to work on the car and, after
cleaning the main earth connections with no effect (always a good place to
start when something weird is happening), I set about checking the
fuse/relay box.
The picture shows the dip beam relay, it's got a bit warm and so has the
housing below it. I've also had occasional problems with the side light
fuses 'getting a bit warm' over the years.
The relay works perfectly but it looks like there has been an intermittent
disconnect where it plugs in. As I'm not about to replace the fuse/relay
box, there followed a bit of careful cleaning up of the connections and
then I fitted a replacement relay culled from an XR2 that I used to sort
out the wife's saloon a few years ago. This relay has a metal cover so it
may be a bit more resilient. The blade contacts on the relay were adjusted
slightly to ensure a better connection and after putting it back together
and reconnecting the battery, everything was working normally again.
How the power was getting to the ignition side I'm not sure, the earth side
of the relay does use the same common earth point as the ignition switch
but that doesn't mean much.
Anyway, an acceptable result, and if your engine doesn't turn off when your
headlights are on, look at the relays first.

Dave English
Q2-009

[image: CIMG5689.JPG]