  From: 'Bill Allison' via Quantum Owners Group
  To: quantumowners@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, July 01, 2019 11:17 AM
  Subject: Re: [Quantum Owners] Gearbox removal

  Short answer is no, however if you jack the car onto blocks and support the
engine with a jack under the sump, remove the n/s hub and driveshaft, gearbox
support subframe where it's attached to the body, clutch cable, speedo cable,
selector rod clamp and exhaust system hangers it _might_ hang down enough on
the nearside (after disconnecting water hoses, fuel pipes, wiring, etc) to get
the box off. If not then disconnect the engine top mount and lower the engine
further. You will need to lever the offside inner CVJ off the gearbox
simultaneously with sliding the gearbox off the engine and on reassembly offer
the CVJ to the gearbox simultaneously with offering the gearbox to the engine.
Tricky - possibly quicker in the long run to remove both driveshafts to begin
with. But by the time you've done all this you've done just about all that's
necessary to fully remove the engine/box...

  In case you're not aware, instead of lifting the body off the running gear,
you can take the engine out upwards, which might be easier.

  http://quantumforum.proboards.com/thread/522/quantum-saloon-full-rebuild

  It requires undoing the exhaust manifold and holding it clear, or
disconnecting the system from the manifold, but avoids the need to remove the
exhaust system and the inlet manifold assembly. If the radiator is in the
engine bay, not in the nose-cone, you might need to remove it. You also need to
remove the brake servo/master cylinder.

  Hope that's helpful.

  Best regards
  Bill

  Bill Allison
  Borders Group of Advanced Motorists
  Secretary (Cars)
  Chief Observer (Cars)
  07702 739474
  01750 22550 (before 21:00 please)
  www.bordersiam.org.uk and www.bordersiam.org.uk/ydi

  www.iamroadsmart.com

  https://www.facebook.com/BordersAdvancedMotorists

  The contents of this message, and any attachments, may include information
that is private and confidential and should not be read by persons other than
the intended addressee(s). IAM RoadSmart nor the sender accepts any
responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to check the email and
any attachments. If you have received this email in error, please inform the
sender and delete the message from your computer. IAM RoadSmart is a trading
name. IAM RoadSmart is a trademark. Charity number: 249002 (England and Wales)
SC041201 (Scotland). Registered Address: 1 Albany Place, Hyde Way, Welwyn
Garden City AL7 3BT.

  On Sunday, 30 June 2019, 18:30:38 BST, Susan and Martin Scott