On 10/11/2016 09:47 PM, jan.f...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to connect to appvm console directly from qubes login
> screen? The reason for doing this is to give access to internet to
> other user while not giving him possibility to access anything else,
> he will be locked in virtual machine, neither usb copying will be allowed.
> What is your opinion on this? What about security issues?
>
> thanx for advice.

There might be a way to create a special user session that, all it does,
is start a VM, connect to its Qubes GUID, and display whatever the
session has.  No controls, no terminals, no Qubes Manager.  You just
have to create your session as a script and add it to
/usr/share/xsessions.  The guest user you are thinking of must be a
member of the qubes group, and under no circumstances may your guest
session program open any sort of application on dom0.

Best of luck.

> jan
>
> Dňa pondelok, 3. mája 2010 12:33:07 UTC+2 Joanna Rutkowska napísal(-a):
>
>     On 05/01/2010 01:11 AM, Peter Moody wrote:
>     > Howdy,
>     >
>     > I have a somewhat strange use-case; I like to try and use qubes (or
>     > something like qubes) to protect not only the user applications (and
>     > appvms) from each other, but as an administrator, I also want to set
>     > this up so that the user can't bypass my additional policy.
>     >

>     Qubes does not pretend to be a multi-user system.
>
>     We originally discussed some possibilities of creating unprivileged
>     (multi) user account(s) in Dom0, so that e.g. user Alice didn't have
>     access to user's Bob's AppVMs. But Rafal immediately came up with a
>     dozen on of potential attack vectors from such unprivileged user
>     accounts to system admin (root), that we decided to give up on
>     this. The
>     biggest problem here is that the Xen infrastructure, e.g. the Xen
>     Daemon
>     (xend)'s management interface, has not been designed to allow for
>     secure
>     control of Xen by an unprivileged user. So, there doesn't seem to be a
>     secure way to e.g. allow user Alice to talk to Xend in order to
>     control
>     her VMs, but at the same time to not introduce huge attack surface
>     that
>     might let her escalate to root.
>
>     Plus, there are many other avenues for a user that has physical access
>     to the machine to escalate themselves to root. E.g. they can boot
>     system
>     in single user mode (this will be in the future prevented as a side
>     effect of using Intel TXT trusted boot). Or the user might insert a
>     Firewire/PCCARD and again gain full control over the system (this will
>     be in the future prevented via more fine-grained VT-d permissions and
>     isolated storage domain).
>
>     So, for the above reasons, we currently do not plan to implement
>     support
>     for multi-users for Qubes. We just know it cannot be done securely in
>     the moment.
>
>     We currently try to protect the user from various threats, rather than
>     protect the system from the user.
>
>     Obviously other OSes, like Windows or Mac, are not any better in terms
>     of multi-user security.
>
>     joanna.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-devel/e557bb7e-b258-49e2-b3e4-af578614b73e%40googlegroups.com