I have a question about how the images for the vms in qubes are stored.

As one can read
in https://www.qubes-os.org/attachment/wiki/QubesArchitecture/arch-spec-0.3.pdf
at page 33, Qubes OS was supposed to get a secure storage domain which
would be none security critical, but as far as I can see, Qubes VMs still
have their root.img's stored in Dom0. why is this? Was there too little
time or manpower to implement this in time?  Or maybe a better storage
solution was found? I would really like some information about choices made
on this subject and any possible future plans about this subject :) .

greetings,
blacklight