On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:38 PM, HW42 <h...@ipsumj.de> wrote:
> Peter Todd:
>>>
>>> It isn't nearly as difficult to spot when it's a part of a git commit,
>>> because it will stand so much more in a diff than it would inside a 600MB
>>> tarball. :)
>>
>> Yes, we agree one has a 0% chance of being noticed; the other has a 0% +
>> epsilon
>> chance. :)
>
> Could you explain why you think so? As discussed below the tarball is
> generated (almost) deterministically so spotting a tarball which does
> not match the git commit is trivial (and even possible to automate). So
> why is spotting a manipulated tarball harder?

Because in practice people do not do that. Even I did not consider
doing that in the context of this post.

My assumption was that "if the tarball signed by the developer is
somehow evil, then the developer is either compromised or themselves
malicious, and in both cases we're screwed anyway so there's no point
checking against git". Perhaps this is flawed reasoning, perhaps not,
but it does allow for the possibility of unnoticed changes in the
tarball not present in git.