On 08/11/17 10:51 PM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
I could of course verify the signature of the auto-generated
sha256sums.asc file which covers all the files (including compressed
ones), but that means trusting kernel.org infrastructure - which was
compromised in 2011 and may well be compromised again in the future...

Not to argue anything in particular, but sometimes I do have moments where I wonder if moving our ultimate trust to developer workstations (where the signature is generated) was such a great idea. I can assure you that kernel.org infrastructure is, in the majority of cases, vastly better protected than developer workstations -- together with the signing keys that live on them and into which we put the ultimate trust.

I don't have any answers to this, just wanted to share my inner conflict with others. :)

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Director, IT Infrastructure Security