On Friday, 24 November 2017 15:05:27 UTC+8, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:

> ...but surely not *all* of them able to do perform any operation they
> want on any data they want using any key they want as soon as you
> authorize it once for any VM! (by default the agent authorizes any use
> of the keyring for 300 seconds(?) after first use)

Yes, 300 seconds is the default. And it's only authorised for a given VM.
Trying to sign
from another VM will present the popup again.

As long as I don't accept the GPG warning popup unless I know it's OK, I
don't see
this as an issue. Also, every signing request during these 300 seconds will
display a
notification, which will quickly reveal if there are any strange things
happening (and,
again, I'd need to manually authorise the first access anyway).

> Was there some documentation you got this from? If so, please do point
> me to it so I can correct it ASAP.

When I initially did this for 3.2, I followed the official documentation on
this, which gave
me the configuration that is identical to what I managed to set up with 4.0
now:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/split-gpg/

There are no mentions of limiting access to specific VM's, and the
following statement
seems pretty reasonable to me:

*    “With Qubes Split GPG this problem is drastically minimized, because
each time the key*
*    is to be used the user is asked for consent (with a definable time
out, 5 minutes by default),*
*    plus is always notified each time the key is used via a tray
notification from the domain*
*    where GPG backend is running. This way it would be easy to spot
unexpected requests*
*    to decrypt documents.”*

The attack scenario you describe just doesn't seem as serious to me as it
does to you. This
scenario would involve a rogue application calling qubes-gpg-client to
attempt to sign some
data, and somehow manage to trick me into accepting the request.

Regards,
Elias