On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 12:32:56PM +0000, Rusty Bird wrote:
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> > On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:56:51AM +0000, Rusty Bird wrote:
> > > Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:

> > > After a couple of GitHub API requests, it looks like they're currently
> > > memory-holing 43 issues:
> >
> > Thanks for the list. Based on it, I've searched the github export I do
> > from time to time, and I can confirm most of them are not spam (at least
> > looking at the title, haven't checked the body).
> > Specifically this list:
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1004
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1017
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1025
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1127
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1510
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1678
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1794
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2196
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2221
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2669
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2804
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2862
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3119
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3272
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3358
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3395
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3402
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3414
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4037
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4056
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4107
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4108
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4240
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4605
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4690
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5033
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5083
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5154
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5204
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5205
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5325
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5334
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5582
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5928
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5929
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6415
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6422 (dupplicate of 6415)
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6451
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6452 (dupplicate of 6451)
> >
> > That said, many of them are misplaced and were immediately closed as
> > "invalid" as they should be rather posted to forum or ML.
> >
> > I'll add them to the list in github support request...
>
> Did you ever hear back from them?

Yes, a month later, and it's not very optimistic one:

    It appears that these issues are currently hidden for reasons relating
    to the accounts that opened them.

    I'm unable to provide any further information about this for privacy and
    security reasons however if the account holders reach out to us we may
    be able to assist them directly.

    Unfortunately we're unable to re-show these issues until such times as
    we can work with those account holders.

    Sorry it's perhaps not the news you were hoping for but please let me
    know if you have any other questions.

> I just read something disturbing that might be relevant:
>
> | Apparently, “suspending an account” on GitHub actually means *deleting
> | all activity for a user* — which results in (1) every pull request
> | from the suspended account being *deleted*, (2) every issue opened by
> | the suspended account being *deleted*, (3) every comment or discussion
> | from the suspended account being *deleted*. In effect, the user’s
> | entire activity and history is evaporated.
>
> | All of a sudden, I was seeing pull requests, issues, and comments
> | disappear from users who were actively contributing to the project.
> | *We lost valuable contributions, information, context, and discussion
> | history* on issues and pull requests. We even lost pull requests that
> | were open and under active review. That work is now entirely lost.
> | Gone forever. For pull requests that _did_ merge, we have the raw
> | commit history — but that is not a substitute for a full code review
> | and discussion.
>
> https://www.jessesquires.com/blog/2022/04/19/github-suspending-russian-accounts/

Indeed, we've seen this happening. But also, we've seen comments
associated to ghost user when original author's account is no longer
accessible. I'm not sure how the method of suspending an account is
chosen.

Technically, the historical aspect of it isn't huge issue for us, as we
try to not trust github too much (which includes having enough context
in commit messages, having backups of issues, having notification email
history etc). And honestly, I find searching through email notifications
way more reliable than github's built in search. But that's still
inconvenience, especially for current ongoing work.

PS I have used gitlab.com recently in another project, for about 2
years. The project was _much_ smaller, in terms of number of issues,
repositories count, contributions count, length of discussions and
pretty much any other metric. And the subjective feeling was: gitlab is
incredibly slower than github and much less stable. There weren't a week
without "oh no, I need to type this long comment again, because
something went wrong and it wasn't saved", or "something didn't load,
try refresh few times until all the content loads". Since I (try to) not
trust web services for keeping code reviews, I have them always written
in a file first, so when this happens for a review comment, I just need
to paste it again. But that's still inconvenient.
So, while gitlab.com is an alternative, using it will cost us a lot of
frustration... I guess self-hosted instance won't be much better, but it
will require noticeable effort to maintain it (gitlab server
specifically has quite complex environment with several services
involved).

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki