On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 03:46:05PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> [...]
> > > looking at the title, haven't checked the body).
> > > Specifically this list:
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1004
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1017
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1025
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1127
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1510
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1678
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1794
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2196
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2221
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2669
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2804
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2862
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3119
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3272
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3358
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3395
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3402
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3414
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4037
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4056
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4107
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4108
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4240
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4605
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4690
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5033
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5083
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5154
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5204
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5205
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5325
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5334
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5582
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5928
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5929
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6415
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6422 (dupplicate of 6415)
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6451
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6452 (dupplicate of 6451)
> > >
> > > That said, many of them are misplaced and were immediately closed as
> > > "invalid" as they should be rather posted to forum or ML.
> > >
> > > I'll add them to the list in github support request...
> >
> > Did you ever hear back from them?
>
> Yes, a month later, and it's not very optimistic one:
>
>     It appears that these issues are currently hidden for reasons relating
>     to the accounts that opened them.
>
>     I'm unable to provide any further information about this for privacy and
>     security reasons however if the account holders reach out to us we may
>     be able to assist them directly.
>
>     Unfortunately we're unable to re-show these issues until such times as
>     we can work with those account holders.
>
>     Sorry it's perhaps not the news you were hoping for but please let me

My response would be something like, “Would it be possible to show
comments not made by the account that opened the issue?”.

> > I just read something disturbing that might be relevant:
> >
> > | Apparently, “suspending an account” on GitHub actually means *deleting
> > | all activity for a user* — which results in (1) every pull request
> > | from the suspended account being *deleted*, (2) every issue opened by
> > | the suspended account being *deleted*, (3) every comment or discussion
> > | from the suspended account being *deleted*. In effect, the user’s
> > | entire activity and history is evaporated.
> >
> > | All of a sudden, I was seeing pull requests, issues, and comments
> > | disappear from users who were actively contributing to the project.
> > | *We lost valuable contributions, information, context, and discussion
> > | history* on issues and pull requests. We even lost pull requests that
> > | were open and under active review. That work is now entirely lost.
> > | Gone forever. For pull requests that _did_ merge, we have the raw
> > | commit history — but that is not a substitute for a full code review
> > | and discussion.
> >
> > https://www.jessesquires.com/blog/2022/04/19/github-suspending-russian-accounts/
>
> Indeed, we've seen this happening. But also, we've seen comments
> associated to ghost user when original author's account is no longer
> accessible. I'm not sure how the method of suspending an account is
> chosen.
>
> Technically, the historical aspect of it isn't huge issue for us, as we
> try to not trust github too much (which includes having enough context
> in commit messages, having backups of issues, having notification email
> history etc). And honestly, I find searching through email notifications
> way more reliable than github's built in search. But that's still
> inconvenience, especially for current ongoing work.

Indeed it is, and a good reason to consider a different platform, such
as GitLab or other self-hosted services.

> PS I have used gitlab.com recently in another project, for about 2
> years. The project was _much_ smaller, in terms of number of issues,
> repositories count, contributions count, length of discussions and
> pretty much any other metric. And the subjective feeling was: gitlab is
> incredibly slower than github and much less stable. There weren't a week
> without "oh no, I need to type this long comment again, because
> something went wrong and it wasn't saved", or "something didn't load,
> try refresh few times until all the content loads". Since I (try to) not
> trust web services for keeping code reviews, I have them always written
> in a file first, so when this happens for a review comment, I just need
> to paste it again. But that's still inconvenient.
> So, while gitlab.com is an alternative, using it will cost us a lot of
> frustration... I guess self-hosted instance won't be much better, but it
> will require noticeable effort to maintain it (gitlab server
> specifically has quite complex environment with several services
> involved).

Frédéric Pierret is already maintaining a GitLab instance, so I don’t
think it would be too difficult for us to host one.

- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab