On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Chris Laprise <tas...@openmailbox.org>
wrote:

> On 05/25/2016 05:13 PM, Franz wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM, <raahe...@gmail.com <mailto:
>> raahe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 1:24:04 AM UTC-4, J. Eppler wrote:
>>     > Hello,
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > If there is another web conferencing app that works better for
>>     qubes I would be happy to try it.
>>     >
>>     > https://tox.chat/
>>     > - you will find the clients here: https://tox.chat/download.html
>>     > - I would use qTox or uTox for desktop systems
>>     >
>>     > or another one:
>>     >
>>     > https://jitsi.org/
>>     >
>>     > Best regards
>>     >   J. Eppler
>>
>>     Does TOX have video?  if so how is the quality of the connection?
>>

>> qTox and uTox do have video, but for using them in Qubes we have to deal
>> with the usual webcam issues, which means that a USB controller should be
>> assigned to a conference VM. I find this even more difficult now that the
>> current Xen version does not let me to assign one USB controller to
>> sys-usb and the other to a conference-VM anymore, because the two
>> controllers share some resources, which is a security issue. So both
>> controllers must go assigned to the same VM.
>>
>> Otherwise one may think of making a script to hot assign USB controllers
>> form sys-usb to conference VM and then back again, but I have a feeling
>> that it would not work that way, rather need a reboot, then conference,
>> then a reboot again to come back to the starting setting, which seems too
>> much for me.
>>
>> I also thought of putting an additional USB controller into the
>> expresscard slot, bought two of them rated as working with linux, but none
>> really worked with my Qubes.
>>
>> I reverted to using another non-Qubes computer for conferences. But
>> obviously this is a very serious limitation.
>>
>> So, writing this  I wonder if it may make sense to use sys-usb as a
>> conference VM. Sys-usb is red and should be considered compromised, but it
>> may be better to have a compromised conference than nothing. Certainly my
>> sys-usb is much more secure than the other non-Qubes computer that I am
>> using now. What do you think?
>>
>> Best
>> Fran
>>

> Mixing usb isolation with the network? I would avoid that if possible.

Why? what may happen in your view? It is only some encrypted conference
software that uses the network to communicate with people you trust.

> If there were some Linux-based way to create a virtual webcam device, with
> a stream piped unidirectionally from sys-usb, that could be a solid
> workaround.
>
> I'm glad you mentioned Qubes' limitation in this context. If it were up to
> me, I would define web conferencing as a core use case for Qubes.

Yes Chris, which is the sense of using encrypted conference software, if
you need to use it on cell phones or some ordinary laptop which you do not
trust?

Audio and video communication is already part of common everyday life. I
understand it is very difficult to develop a Qubes easy to use  audio and
video communication. But there may be some workaround like the
unidirectional stream pipe you mentioned, or something else.

Best
Fran

Chris