> The UI he is describing is system-config-printer (Red Hat). He could try
> gnome-control-center ->Printers instead. That works for me.
>
> Chris

Chris, that is essentially what I did. But not through the
control center, just directly through the menu system and
running that exact section.

I did the same thing in Fedora (RedHat) and it worked fine.

After it detected the printer, it searched for the drivers, didn't
find them, so I put the OpenDriver file on and installed it.
RedHat based, easy. Debian based, crashed.

Currently on Debian 8. I don't know if it's a bug in Debian 8
or not though.