On 05.06.2016 18:26, 981'0932481'029438'0194328'0913284'0913284'09182'3 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can I build a Template VM hierarchy?
>
> i) If I install all apps in the same TVM, that it looks pretty the same
> mess like in a monolithic system ii) If I install any app in a new HVM,
> than I waste lots of space.
>
> If I take the working hypothesis, that I can define more safe and mess safe
> apps, I could build N TVM's for different topics and additional some
> dependent Template Sub-VM's, which contains more risky apps.
>
> E.g. TVM-Hierarchy for text processing
>
> TVM1 contains only a secure and simple text editor TVM1-1 is based on TVM1
> and contains also a simple painting tool TVM1-1-1 is based on TVM1-1 and
> enables the more risky JAVA stack and OpenOffice
>
> So only AppVM's based on TVM1-1-1 like
>
> AVM1-1-1-1 AVM1-1-1-2 AVM1-1-1-3 AVM1-1-1-4... take the JAVA risk but you
> will save the space, because TVM1-1 don't get duplicated only to build up
> TVM1-1-1.
>
> Even you can update the full T-Hierarchy in the best case with one click.
>
> Will be this possible? And how can I reach it?
>
> The benefit will be, that any app-code get stored and updated only once,
> but the risk can be limited (if a good app black- and white list exists).
>
> Kind Regards

I think this would be difficult to implement. One reason for this is that when
you update TVM1 for example, the filesystem of it diverges. You would have to
do something like a three-Way Merge as known from version control systems like
git. I am not aware how this could be done.

I think your best beat is to use a COW filesystem like btrfs. This was
discussed a few days ago on this list that you can use btrfs to reflink copy
VMs. The only limitation to your scenario would be that changes in TVM1 would
not get magically merged down the hierarchy.

- --
Live long and prosper
Robin `ypid` Schneider