On Saturday, 11 June 2016 07:07:41 UTC+10, Unman wrote:

> Hi Drew

Hi Unman,

> I dont beleieve the user is significant.

Nope, you are right there.

> Nor do I think it likely that rc.local isnt executing, (althoygh this is
> not impossible.)

To start troubleshooting, try inserting a simple log command at the
> start of the file:
> echo `date` >> /home/user/log
> would do.

I actually have it setting the nameserver as the first thing it does.
This is not happenning, and so I know that it's not doing what it's meant
to be doing which means I have to run it manually to get the internet
working.

> See if the log is written on boot.
> If it is, then you need to look at the exact commands you are using. I
> recall at one time specifying full path although I no longer do so.
>
> I use rc.local to set iptables policies etc. and it works flawlessly.

Mine works fine on Fedora, it's just Debian that it's not automatically
executing on..
My whole issue is with it on Debian, on Fedora, even Fedora 23 it just runs
and works, no matter the ownership.
As long as it can be executed, it works.

> If you still cant get it working, post the file contents.

Okay..

I'll post some of it.

#!/bin/sh

# This script will be executed at every VM startup, you can place your own
# custom commands here. This include overriding some configuration in /etc,
# starting services etc.
#
# You need to make this script executable to have it enabled.

# Example for overriding the whole CUPS configuration:
#  rm -rf /etc/cups
#  ln -s /rw/config/cups /etc/cups
#  systemctl --no-block restart cups

hname=`hostname`

#service dnsmasq stop
service smbd stop

echo "nameserver NameserverIP" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "Nameserver Set.";
samba=1;
interVMNet=0;
dnsmasqLocal=0;
nocups=0;
httpd=0;
bridged=0;
bridgeip='';
bridgeto='';

eth='eth0'; # Eth config

local_ip=``; # local IP
local_externalnet=``;
echo "Local : $local_ip - : $local_externalnet";

vif=``; # GET internal IP lists
echo "Using VIF $vif";
intervm_ip=``; # GET internal IP
echo "internal vm parent IP set to $intervm_ip";
intervm_internalnet=``; # GET internal IP
echo "internal vm network set to $intervm_internalnet";
internalnet_bridgevmip=``; # GET internal IP
echo "Bridge IP: $internalnet_bridgevmip";

# Enable ping requests from 10 class network
iptables -I INPUT 1 -i eth0 -p icmp --icmp-type 8 -s $local_externalnet/24 -d
$local_ip -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -o eth0  -p icmp --icmp-type 0 -s $local_externalnet/24
-d $local_externalnet/24 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

f [ $nocups -eq 1 ]; then
   systemctl stop cups
   rm -rf /etc/cups
   ln -s /rw/config/cups /etc/cups
   systemctl --no-block restart cups
echo "CUPS REMOVED";
fi

if [ $samba -eq 1 ]; then
  # mycode here
  less smb.conf > /etc/samba/smb.conf
  service smbd start
  echo "SAMBA STARTED";
fi

if [ $interVMNet -eq 1 ]; then
  # Sets iptables so that anything targeting local network can find itself.
Only use for interVM machine.
  # mycode here
  echo "INTERVM STARTED";
fi