On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 10:46:44 PM UTC-4, Drew White wrote:

> On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 12:34:58 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>>
>> Please note that this effectively renders the ISO-containing HDD equal
>> in trust to dom0. If malware on the HDD (or in the firmware, etc.)
>> manages to execute in dom0, it could have control over the entire
>> system (all VMs).
>>
>> I'm sure that Drew is aware of this and has made a conscious choice to
>> trust his ISO-containing HDD, but other people reading this may not
>> have considered this.
>>

>  Hi andrew,
>
> yes, I have taken many things into consideration.
> Well, my ISO containing HDD is also an HDD that has guests on it.
> Malware on the HDD? Only if it comes from another guest without my
> permitting it.
>
> So yes you are right, but I'm not using a portable HDD that goes into any
> machine. It's a portable HDD that only plugs into Dom0, nothing else.
>
> It's only ever plugged into my PC here, and my identicle one at the other
> office.
> So it just haas the guests that I need at both locations, and not have to
> send data across the internet from guest
> on this machine to guest on that machine and vice versa.
>
> So that is the security and precautions that I do take.

I'm not sure that the location I mounted the .iso from is related to my
problem.  I had no issues installing from the ISO, hosted from my personal
vm.  The problem was post install.  I will try running the vm with debug,
and possibly play with amount of memory and qrexec_timeout  tonight to see
if I can find more information.