I started trying to create a VPN VM following the
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/ page. I checked if openvm was installed, it
was (using fedora/ using the "firewall" for the allow networking option not
mentioned in the VPN page). There was not a /rw/config/openvm dir so I tried
making one then went through the rest of the instructions. I am double checked
what I did against the instructions and am fairly sure I followed them
correctly.

I tried setting my now "VPN" vm as the netvm, shutdown both then restarted vpn
vm then the modified-to-use-vpn vm appvm and tried connecting to the internet,
nada.

I did go to the Fedora "establishing a VPN Connection" page but intimidating is
a bit of an understatement.

How can I go about diagnosing what is not working?