On 07/04/2016 11:33 AM, gaikokujinkyofu...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 11:32:53 PM UTC-3:30, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 07/03/2016 10:10 PM, gaikokujinkyofu...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 9:56:15 PM UTC+3, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 07/03/2016 09:14 PM, gaikokujinkyofu...@gmail.com wrote:
Some things came up so I hadn't gotten around to trying it out until now.

I created a new VM, VpnVM, and ran

openvpn openvpn.ovpn

and yeah! it connected and I opened firefox from VpnVM, and it was using the
vpn, then ran PersonalVM using VpnVM as my NetVM and PersonalVM also showed up
as using the VPN so first hurdle cleared?
Yes.

Lots more hurdles though as my understanding of it all drops off precipitously.

I modified the /rw/config/openvpn/openvpn-client.ovpn file with the

script-security 2
up 'qubes-vpn-handler.sh up'
down 'qubes-vpn-handler.sh down'

lines

and I created the qubes-vpn-handler.sh and changed permissions.

I then tried to start openvpn /rw/config/openvpn/openvpn-client.ovpn

and no go. I get errors:

Options error: --ca fails with ca.crt: No such file or directory
Options error: --crl-verify failes crl.prm: no such file or dir
Options error: please correct these errors

I didn't get these errors before I added the qubes-vpn-handler.sh

thoughts?
It looks like you switched to the example ovpn config from
https://github.com/ttasket/Qubes-vpn-support

I'd recommend you use your original working ovpn and just add the 3
script lines to that.

Chris
Actually I am using the ovpn that the vpn provider gives, and am just adding the 3 lines
that step "2. Set up OpenVPN." of https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/ page
suggest to the ovpn config file that the vpn provider gave.

That file seems to work until I modify it with the 3 lines. While I don't
understand the script I would assume there is something in the handler script
that my setup doesn't like as the 3 lines are just invoking the
qubes-vpn-handler.sh right?
Above, you switched from 'openvpn.ovpn' to...
'/rw/config/openvpn/openvpn-client.ovpn' so make sure they are the same.

Changing the location of the files or your current directory while
omitting the '--cd' directive would cause the errors. Try starting it
with 'openvpn --cd /rw/config/openvpn/ --config openvpn-client.ovpn'.

Chris
Ah sorry. Thanks. I guess, some of my lazy shorthand confused things. I can
promise though I have been going off the https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/ doc,
wasn't actually aware of the github one.

When I try to execute it what dir should I be doing this from? I tried the line
you suggested
openvpn --cd /rw/config/openvpn/ --config openvpn-client.ovpn

but got the same options errors as before (just for the heck of it I tried from
my home dir and from the /rw/config/openvpn dir)

My bad, I should have said 'sudo openvpn --cd /rw/config/openvpn/ --config openvpn-client.ovpn'. You want to run it with 'sudo'.

It shouldn't matter where you start openvpn from as long as you use '--cd'.

Also, verify that the two 'missing' files are in the /rw/config/openvpn dir. Do an 'ls -l' there to check they are owned by root.

Chris