Would appreciate if someone could check that I'm not doing something stupid...
(Don't see any docs regarding this.)

Use case: I want to store my Documents on a separate .img (on same Qubes SSD)
so that only config files remain on my appVM. This should ease the upgrade
process when I want to start with fresh appVMs and reduce chances of user error
/ corruption of frequently moving large existing files.

Steps:

1. create sparse file in dom0:
   `dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/lib/qubes/storage/myfiles.img bs=1024k seek=10000
count=0`

2. create filesystem on sparse file:
   `mkfs -t ext4 myfiles.img`

3. add file as disk device to /var/lib/qubes/appvms/myappvm.conf:
   <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='phy' />
      <source dev='/var/lib/qubes/storage/myfiles.img' />
      <target dev='xvde' bus='xen' />
   </disk>

4. add /dev/xvde to /etc/fstab in appVM:
   /dev/xvde   /home/user/storage   ext4   defaults,noatime   0 0

5. start appVM

Any issues? TIA!

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!