Working steps for anyone interested (based on Marek & Tomhet's posts:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/RogG5rXG_Pw/discussion)

> Use case: I want to store my Documents on a separate .img (on same Qubes SSD)
> so that only config files remain on my appVM. This should ease the upgrade
> process when I want to start with fresh appVMs and reduce chances of user
> error / corruption of frequently moving large existing files.

1. create sparse file in dom0:
   truncate -s 10G /var/lib/qubes/storage/myfiles.img

2. create filesystem on sparse file:
   mkfs.ext4 myfiles.img

3. set up Qubes-RPC in dom0:
   add to /etc/qubes-rpc/attach-myfiles.img:
      /usr/bin/qvm-block -A --force-root -f xvde myappVM
dom0:/var/lib/qubes/storage/myfiles.img
   add to /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/attach-myfiles.img:
      myappVM dom0 allow
      $anyvm $anyvm deny

4. set up fstab in appVM:
   add to /rw/config/fstab:
      /dev/xvde  /home/user/storage  ext4  defaults,noatime,discard  0 0

5. set up rc.local in appVM:
   add to /rw/config/rc.local
      cat /rw/config/fstab >> /etc/fstab
      qrexec-client-vm dom0 attach-myfiles.img
      mount -a

6. umount & detach will happen automatically when appVM shuts down.

Thanks everyone for help!

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!