On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:46 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9u...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 06/29/2016 07:32 AM, Ben Wika wrote:
> > When backing up your cold wallet, make sure it's heavily encrypted with a
> > strong password so no one can access the signing key from the backup.
> It's
> > impossible to really know if someone has a copy of your key until they
> use
> > it to spend your coins, at which point it would be too late to get them
> > back.
> >
> > Its not really the bitcoins you are storing. What you are storing is the
> > signing key that authorizes you to reallocate the bitcoins on the public
> > ledger (to some other bitcoin address).
> >
> > I think electrum also has x of y multi-sig. So instead of (or in addition
> > to) having a cold wallet, you could just have different signing keys
> > scattered on 'y' different VMs, whereby you have to manually sign the
> > transaction with at least 'x' signing keys before it is able to broadcast
> > successfully. Whilst a bit cumbersome, it allows you to develop different
> > risk profiles for different bitcoin addresses.
> >
> > Qubes lends itself very well to handling bitcoin with isolated VMs.
> >
> > You might have:
> >   - a hot wallet (networked VM) with a small balance
> >   - a cold wallet (offline VM) with a corresponding watching-only hot
> wallet
> > (networked VM)
> >   - a multi-sig cold wallet (offline VM) that also needs 2 other
> signatures
> > which may be in hot wallets (3 of 3 multisig).
> >   - a multi-sig cold wallet where you have 2 separate cold wallet VMs
> that
> > both have to sign (2 of 2 cold wallets)
> >   - a multi-sig where one of the keys is on your phone running electrum
> >   - a multi-sig where one of the keys is on a piece of paper at a second
> > location
> >
> > Options are limitless and all depends on what risk level you are
> > comfortable with.
>

> Don't know what the threat potential is for the hot wallet, but I'd sure
> run it in a DispVM so as to not retain any mischief that might be
> inflicted upon it. Flush and start a fresh copy immediately before any
> transaction.

Many thanks to all. It seems more complex than I expected. But Qubes is
ideally suited to manage all that. This is a very concrete Qubes use, that
can motivate many people to learn Qubes and to buy an expensive laptop,
just to safely trade bitcoins. Specially if all this is preinstalled or
easy to setup.

I mean, pratically now Qubes is mainly an OS for developers, judging from
the people on this ML. But it could be as well an OS for serious Bitcoin
users.

Nobody mentioned a tutorial, so I imagine it does not exist. It would be
nice to try to write something. We may try together.

Regarding the DispVM for the hot wallet, I use the dispVM to print
everything from more trusted VMs, because printing is not worth much trust.
But how can I trust a printing dispVM for something as sensitive as a hot
wallet? We would need two different dispVMs but we are not there yet.
Best
Fran