Gustavo Lapido Loureiro:
> I changed my personal vm max memory to 8 GB since this will be the vm
> where I plan to run most of my applications, most of them memory
> consuming (Firefox with hundreds of opened tabs, video playing, image
> processing...). Initial memory was automatically adjusted to 800 MB.
> Memory balancing is turned on.
>
> I have 12 GB of ram installed on my laptop.
>
> Is this an acceptable procedure?

Yes. All you've done is increased the maximum, which seems reasonable.

If memory balancing were turned off, it would mean setting aside all 8
GB any time the personal vm was running.

> Before posting this I read this post
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/memory$20appvm/qubes-users/lxcMPl01hMM/uCe3PXhlJyEJ
>
>  and, although the final conclusion seems to be "Don't touch default
> settings, let automatic memory balancing take care of it", it is from
> 2014, so I wonder if things could have changed since then?
>
> If it's still effective, then I wonder when it would be necessary to
> change those settings?

In my own experience, I have reduced the RAM and disabled memory
balancing for vms like sys-net, sys-firewall, VPNs etc.

I have also increased the fixed (non memory balanced) RAM in win7
standalone vms.