I agree with the idea of having an option for a storage VM, but my agreement
goes a little deeper (and forks a bit). I know that the primary goal of Qubes
is security, but there are a lot of different use cases for it. I use it
because I like the compartmentalization provided by VMs. Security is almost a
secondary for me - I wanted a bare-metal client hypervisor. Since XenClient no
longer exists and no other offerings are well maintained, I landed on Qubes.
For my purposes, sharing storage would be great, but baking it in DOES defeat
the primary goals of the project.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Turnkey Linux (http://turnkeylinux.org), and I
use their stuff regularly to stand up infrastructure components or for testing.
They have a fileserver VM, and it's pretty beautiful. Actually, all of their
stuff is pretty beautiful. However, unless I missed something, I don't see an
easy way to import an OVA/VMDK into Qubes. If that existed, I'd be happier than
a dog with eight legs (yes, I said that). This would solve a lot of use cases,
simplify the creation of third party HVMs, and still maintain the goals of the
project.

Thoughts?