Apologies, this appears to be the shared RMRR problem discussed in

This is indeed in the FAQ, but I was thrown by the doc at
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#i-created-a-usbvm-and-assigned-usb-controllers-to-it-now-the-usbvm-wont-boot

stating the problem began in R3.0, when by this experience it actually seems to
have been introduced in R3.1 xen 4.6?. Pity as it was nice having USB ports and
built-in USB devices in separate VMs. Although I guess it's for the best, as I
was relying on the reset ability which apparently wasn't supported by the
hardware...

In any case, worth a note on https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.1/ page?