Hey guys, i made this post and largely forgot about it. It would appear that
the installation media I used corrupted the image. I used another USB stick and
the installation boots no problem - I've been using 3.2 for about 3 or 4 days
now without any problems on the T420s; no kernel parameters necessary.

I'm not sure about other builds of the T420s but I can post my specs for
confirmation so the HCL can be updated.