On 2016-10-22 12:56, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 09:56:07PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

>>> Marek, what do you think about having a no-reply "qubes-announcements"
>>> mailing list?
>>>
>>> Messages sent from qubes-announcements would also be duplicated to
>>> qubes-devel and possibly qubes-users so that people have a chance to
>>> discuss and ask questions.
>
>> I'm not sure if it worth it. There is not much such announcements. On
>> the other hand, this may be exactly the reason for having a separate
>> mailing list for this. For now, we have already some non-email channels
>> for announcements:
>>  - @QubesOS on twitter - every security and release announcement is
>>    duplicated there
>>  - https://www.qubes-os.org/news/, with its RSS/Atom feed; but we don't
>>    link security announcements there - maybe we should start?
>
>> If you think additional ML channel would be useful, then sure, we can
>> create one.
>
> "would be useful" -> "those existing are not enough".

The main reason to have such a mailing list would be so that people who
don't want to use Twitter or RSS, and/or who want to receive *only*
critical updates via email can have a way to do so.

Some people might be opposed to Twitter as a platform. Probably fewer
would object to RSS, but it might be inconvenient for them for one
reason or another. Both Twitter and RSS include many non-critical
updates.

I don't know how much demand there is for the ability to receive only
critical updates via email. If there's high demand, we should do it.
If there's little or no demand, then it might not be worthwhile to saddle
ourselves with the additional overhead. The problem is that we don't have
any data on which to base the decision. Shall I create a poll?

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org