On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 09:28:31AM +0000, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> On 10/28/2016 01:56 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 03:31:46PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> > wrote:

> > package

> > > I haven't tried recently, but it worked before. Maybe a workaround would
> > > be to disable "updates" repository for the upgrade time? Just add
> > > --disablerepo=updates.
> >
> > Or another idea: use `dnf distro-sync --releasever=24`, instead of `dnf
> > upgrade`. Not sure if that helps.
> >
> > > I think it may be possible to use "official" upgrade method, by
> > > switching to pvgrub first:
> > >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#using-kernel-installed-in-the-vm
> > > But in practice probably it will be more complex than just following
> > > that instructions...  Maybe worth a try?
> >
> > Actually, it looks like it almost works this way, even without switching
> > to pvgrub. The only problem is that we put "3" on kernel cmdline, which
> > forces systemd going into multi-user.target (instead of
> > system-update.target). This can be worked around by putting
> > "systemd.unit=system-update.target" on the template kernel command line
> > ("kernelopts" property) before starting second phase of the upgrade.
>
> We should not be putting 3 in the kernel command line, and we should not
> be modifying the default target in qubes-core-vm-systemd either.  What
> we should do is do the necessary work to get the default system
> configuration to work when we boot a VM into graphical.target (the
> default).  That way we avoid these integration issues.

Actually yes, we may hook qubes-gui-agent.service into graphical.target
and call it "display manager", preventing others from running. This is
good idea, but something I'd like to avoid as a stable update - so, for
Qubes 4.0.

> I believe the correct thing to do is to create the necessary
> configuration for the default display manager to start qubes-guid with
> autologin.  This will also give us a complete desktop session inside the
> VM,

This is exactly what we want to avoid. We don't want another window
manager there (which would be fighting with the one in dom0), as well as
a ton of other useless things like panels, clock icons etc. Excluding
this crap makes Qubes VMs lightweight enough to run 20+ of them at the
same machine.

> and XDG autostart as well, as opposed to just a tiny stub that
> doesn't have e.g. password manager environment or GPG agent.
>
> This area is ripe for research, and it's time we matured in that
> direction.  Also noteworthy is that, with the move to Wayland, this sort
> of work is very apropos.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki