On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 03:31:46PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:50:56AM +0200, Zrubi wrote:
> > On 09/06/2016 01:24 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> >
> > > I've just tried this and successfully upgraded Fedora 23 to Fedora 24
> > > template.
> > >
> > > TL;DR version:
> > > 1. Clone fedora-23 to fedora-24-test.
> > > 2. Open terminal in fedora-24-test.
> > > 3. Run "dnf upgrade --releasever=24".
> > > 4. Shutdown the template.
> > > 5. Switch (some of?) VMs to this template.
> > >

> > Just tried to upgrade my templates and got this error:
> >

> > Error: Transaction check error:
> >   file /usr/lib64/libpython3.so from install of
> > system-python-libs-3.5.1-17.fc24.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
> > python3-libs-3.4.3-12.fc23.x86_64
> >

> > Was not able to workaround it, because(?) those libs are used by dnf
> > itself :o
> >
> > The official fedora upgrade way:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
> >  seems not compatible with Qubes
> >

> > any hints how to solve this?
>
> I haven't tried recently, but it worked before. Maybe a workaround would
> be to disable "updates" repository for the upgrade time? Just add
> --disablerepo=updates.

Or another idea: use `dnf distro-sync --releasever=24`, instead of `dnf
upgrade`. Not sure if that helps.

> I think it may be possible to use "official" upgrade method, by
> switching to pvgrub first:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#using-kernel-installed-in-the-vm
> But in practice probably it will be more complex than just following
> that instructions...  Maybe worth a try?

Actually, it looks like it almost works this way, even without switching
to pvgrub. The only problem is that we put "3" on kernel cmdline, which
forces systemd going into multi-user.target (instead of
system-update.target). This can be worked around by putting
"systemd.unit=system-update.target" on the template kernel command line
("kernelopts" property) before starting second phase of the upgrade. So
the procedure is:
1. Clone fedora-23 template to fedora-24.
2. Start fedora-24, launch terminal
3. Proceed with https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
4. Triggering a reboot will actually shutdown the template.
5. Add "systemd.unit=system-update.target" to kernel options of the
template.
6. Start fedora-24 template. It will fail to connect qrexec daemon, GUI
etc. But it will be running and performing the upgrade. Be patient, it
will take some time - for me it was about two hours on non-SSD machine.
There will be no progress information.
7. When upgrade is completed, template with automatically shutdown
itself. When it happens, remove "systemd.unit=system-update.target" from
kernel options.
8. Done.

I'll look into removing "3" from kernel command line - it would simplify
the above instruction (steps 5 and 7 will be unnecessary).

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab