On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 03:00:13AM -0800, SEC Tester wrote:
> Hey Drew, Cheers for the reply.
>
> It wasn't possible to 100% follow your instructions;
>
> In "Global settings" it doesn't seem possible to set the default "netVM" to
> "none". It only lists choices of netVM or ProxyVMs. I left it set to
> "sys-firewall".
>
> I followed the rest of your instructions. Deleted the sys-net VM, created a
> new one.
>
> re-assigned the network adapter with qvm-pci -a <vmname> <bfd>
>
> when setting sys-net as default netVM, the templates can ping the Internet.
> BUT shouldnt i keep everything proxied through sys-firewall?
>
> Or is there some reason the templates cant go through the sys-firewall? and
> must go through sys-net?
>
> It seems more clear at this point the sys-firewall is responsible for
> stopping the templates internet. But i dont know why?
>
> I could set the template netVM to sys-net, but would prefer to solve this if
> possible?
>
> Look forward to your reply.

I think that you should look at the docs - in particular this page:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/
and check the sections on "allowing networking for software update" and
"Updates proxy".

By default templates are prohibited from accessing the internet except
via the update proxy. This is a security measure.
If a template is compromised then all qubes based on it will be
compromised. The default setup is a small step toward providing some
protection. It restricts access from a template to the update proxy
service running on the upstream proxyVM, in your case sys-firewall.

Drew's advice addresses another issue - not yours.

I don't believe that the templates would ever have had internet access.

You say that you  need internet access to install software: you can
either temporarily allow access as detailed on the above page - not
advisable because of a bug that doesn't then reset the firewall rules, so
"temporarily" is a complete misnomer - OR access the software source in a
qube and then copy it across to the template.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your problem. If so, apologies.

unman