On 07/12/16 14:49, bob38...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop without
installing a few things on dom0. Even the link in the qubes docs is to a guy
who did that but they also say never run anything in a template or dom0.

I'm confused.

@bob38851; There are certainly lots of things we can wish for to improve things, but now the desktop has just been changed from KDE to XFCE, so there are probably many small things to be added/adjusted for the new environment in the coming releases.

It would be possible to have a fruitful discussion about this if you could be more specific on what you would like to do? Which user-friendly features are you missing, or is your point how to replace the whole desktop with a customizeable one? Are you looking for something similar in flexibility as the Gnome CompizConfigSettingsManager addons, for example? (Is it the Desktop or the Window Manager flexibility you want more control of?) Or just a customizeable menu for app launchers? (The current panel can be multiplied with new, custom launchers)