On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM,  <bob38...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop

Qubes' patched KDE still worked fine last time I tried it. Perhaps you
might find that more friendly?

> without installing a few things on dom0

I think the seriousness of installing things there may have been
slightly overstated. If all you are looking to install are standard
common desktop environment components, it should probably be fine.